Safety & Disposal
Safe use and disposal of sharps
Care must be exercised during the use and disposal of sharps. Good practice in the disposal of sharps includes the following key points:
• All staff must dispose of sharps correctly.
• The person using the sharp is responsible for disposing of it in an approved sharps disposal container. The facility is responsible for ensuring the disposal of the container.
• The sharps container should be at the place where sharps are used so that they can be disposed of immediately after use.
• Sharps containers should NEVER be overfilled.
• Used needles should NEVER be recapped, cut or bent.
• All incidents or accidents involving needlestick injuries and/or accidents involving body fluids should be recorded and reported in line with local policies.